Thursday, October 24, 2013

Population

                Should steps be taken to actively control the herds that spend most of their time in Rocky Mountain National Park?
                In my opinion I think it is imperative that we take steps to lower the number of elk in Rocky Mountain National Park. While we love these animals in all of their glory and they bring in a lot of tourist money, they seem to have exploded at an alarming rate. You may ask well why this has happened. It seems simple enough to me we have created a sanctuary of sorts; a place where there is no hunting and a lack of natural predators. So what is the problem? With such a large population there is environment degradation and with so many of these animals in large herds that intermingle, if a disease were to be spread it could take generations to rebuild. True, a generation for elk may be 3 to 4 years as that is when they reach sexual maturity, yet the impact would be swift and felt throughout the region. So I think that there needs to be some action on our part to try and keep the population to a more sustainable number.
                Others might say that a problem does not exist and the herds that roam the town and park freely are a treasured resource. Some may say that the methods that would be used for population control could affect their lives or may be too cruel. Yet others will come to the argument with the idea that every life must be saved.

                While debating this topic I wish to understand more about the potential harm to the environment. What harm may come to the economy if the animals were to disappear and why they might disappear. And I would like to find more information on the methods that may be used to cull the herds and the impact that it might have on the local community.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very interesting topic. I didn't realize that no hunting was allowed at any part of the year in the park. I was under the impression that with a permit, the elk could be hunted.

    From what I understand, there is evidence that without natural selection or some other method of population control of any species, they are doomed for extinction by one way or another. I am curious if this was considered when the herds were completely protected in this park.

    I am also interested in the ways in which population control could take place, and what limits would be placed on them. Would the argument against it, with the elk being a treasured resource, really notice if a few were no longer there? I have to admit that the idea of hunting was ruined for me when I was a child and saw Disney's Bambi. However I am realistic in the fact that all species need a type of population control. If the natural aspect is purposely taken away, it logically leads that an unnatural method would need to take over.

    ReplyDelete